openPLC as feeder protection relay

mstoltz
I've dreamed of an open solution to SEL protection relays.  It seems apropos for a public utility to embrace an open source/hardware solution.  In addition, I think using an IDE like SCRATCH could minimize protection scheme mistakes by simplifying the logic in a "flowchart" style format.  Design the case for 3D printing and offer the file on the site.

Re: openPLC as feeder protection relay

DeusInvictus
Many Commercial PLCs support what are refereed to as Function Block Diagrams (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_block_diagram) not exactly the same as something like Scratch but there are similarities.  I have discussed a little bit the idea of working on a cross platform Ladder Logic editor using Qt.  I'm sure if that goes somewhere, support for FBDs could possibly be added as well.

Re: openPLC as feeder protection relay

thiagoralves
Administrator
Arnav is working on a fork of the Arduino IDE platform to create a Ladder / Arduino programming environment side by side. Since Arduino IDE is multi platform, we are planning to support it on all three major platforms: Linux, MacOS and Windows.

For now, the environment will compile only Ladder/Processing code. But after that, it can be expanded to Sequential Function Chart (SFC), Function Block Diagram (FBD), and others.

Re: openPLC as feeder protection relay

gibbseynz
That sounds like a good idea. I did some work experiance for a power line company while I was studying. They were using a lot of SEL relays. If something was available that was similar quality and open source it would be quite popular.